“The Toughness Test” (“Ujian KENTAL”) is the 10th episode of the first season of BoBoiBoy Galaxy, and the 10th episode overall in the series.
Upon returning to TAPOPS Space Station, Tarung is enraged to find that Koko Ci has hired BoBoiBoy and his friends as TAPOPS agents. With that, Tarung gives them a series of tests to ensure that they are indeed qualified to be TAPOPS agents.
The episode begins before 7:00 AM in the morning, where Gopal and BoBoiBoy are sleeping in proper bunk beds at the TAPOPS Space Station. Tarung enters the room to wake them but leaves them alone when Gopal asks for five more minutes of sleep. When the clock rings at 7:00 AM, Tarung suddenly changes from white to red and forcibly wakes them by throwing them and their beds out of the room, reminding them that the test will start in 10 minutes. Gopal recalls the first time Admiral Tarung acted fiercely.
In the flashback, BoBoiBoy, Gopal and Fang have returned to the TAPOPS Space Station with Tarung and the laundry bags. Noticing they are heavy, Tarung takes the bags and carries them with one arm, astounding the boys. They reach the control room and Tarung confirms to a flustered Koko Ci that he is aware of TAPOPS's current situation thanks to the "delivery boys,” to which BoBoiBoy admits that they're actually members of TAPOPS. Furious, Tarung inverts his colors to red and demands to know how they passed the TAPOPS Toughness Test if they were barely able to defend themselves from Planet Dargha'ya. Koko Ci explains that it was discontinued due to its high failure rate. Believing TAPOPS has become an easy target because of its ill-prepared members, he commands BoBoiBoy's team (with the exception of Fang who has passed the test before) to take the Toughness Test tomorrow morning at seven-thirty.
Back in the present, BoBoiBoy and Gopal arrive at the arena and find Yaya and Ying warming up. As always, both girls' fierce rivalry for first place comes out. Fang struts into the arena and Gopal says that he should warm-up, too, but Fang reminds them that he already passed the test with an A grade. The Admiral and Koko Ci show up at the arena and issue the first test: the Easy-A Exam. It's a 30-minute long written test which stands for Exam Angkasa Susah Ya Ampun, meaning it's easy to fail. Yaya and Ying answer the questions easily as they studied beforehand. Gopal answers randomly while BoBoiBoy tries to recall what Ochobot told him about the history of Power Spheres so he can at least answer some of the questions. When the written test is over, Tarung says that if they failed in the exam, they'll be thrown out of the space station, opening the airlock doors as a demonstration. The Admiral's wristwatch beeps and he reverts to his kinder self to announce the lunch break.
During a lunch break, the team eats with Tarung, who apologizes for his harshness earlier as it's only because wants them to reach their full potentials. Ying asks Fang why Tarung is acting friendly all of a sudden. He explains that the Admiral is only strict during his work hours—7:00 AM to 7:00 PM—and reverts back to his kinder self during lunch breaks. As soon as lunch break ends he goes back to being strict and orders everyone back to the arena.
The second test is a survival test, which turns out to be a 2-vs-2 cooking competition (the boys vs the girls) in which they use alien ingredients that could save their lives when stranded on an alien planet. After Gopal changes his team's ingredients to more familiar foods, BoBoiBoy splits into three to get more work done. Yaya and Ying remain undecided on what to cook, prompting them to argue throughout the test. The boys excel under Gopal's command and successfully produce a dish that Tarung heartily claims tastes like his mother's cooking, earning them full marks. Yaya and Ying present two separate dishes which, despite being edible to Admiral Tarung, earn them no points as they were instructed to work as a pair.
The final test aims to determine their focus. Koko Ci releases the TAPOPS Gorilla and Fang demonstrates how to complete the test. They have to sing a rhyme similar to Pat-A-Cake with the Gorilla without using their powers or making mistakes. Mistakes anger the gorilla and cause him to throw you out of the ring, indicating your failure. Gopal is the first to take the exam but he messes up the words and does the wrong actions, failing. Yaya and Ying ask if they can take the test together. Tarung agrees on the condition that 30 points be deducted from their total score. Yaya and Ying succeed and earn a total 70 points. When it's BoBoiBoy's turn, he fails the first lyrics of the song.
After the whole exam, the results are shown: BoBoiBoy is the highest (56%), Ying and Yaya are second equal (53%) and Gopal is in the last place (40%). They are told that the passing score is over 80%, meaning they all failed. Tarung is very upset and is about to punish them but before he can, his watch beeps 7:00 PM and he reverts to his kinder persona to congratulate them for passing. The team thinks they passed the Toughness Test but Tarung says that those tests were only to see if they were fit to take the Toughness Test, which is the next morning, making them scream in despair.
- Koko Ci
- Ochobot (Mentioned)
- This is the first episode to air not on Friday but Thursday. The next three episodes also aired on Thursday as it was Ramadan month.
- The white streak in BoBoiBoy's hair revealed in BoBoiBoy: The Movie is still there.
- Yaya and Ying are shown to maintain their fierce rivalry for "first place" during tests since BoBoiBoy.
- Tarung's change in personality is similar to Yaya's change in personality once she crosses the line painted on the school gate in Season 2, Episode 5 in BoBoiBoy.
- Though, Tarung's change in personality depends on time instead of location.
- Fang says that he scores a grade A in the test, which means he must’ve passed the cooking test to obtain the grade, despite the official fan mail answers stating that he (and Kaizo) do not know how to cook or bake.
- The test he was referring to could've been the real Toughness Test, which requires combative and defensive skills, rather than the preliminary exam,.
- Exam Angkasa Susah Ya Ampun roughly translates to "Geez, Difficult Space Exam" in English.
- This is the second time BoBoiBoy uses the Elemental Split to summon BoBoiBoy Leaf with two of his classic powers since Episode 8.
- Yaya's biscuits and the red carrot donut make their first appearance in BoBoiBoy Galaxy since BoBoiBoy.
- Tarung is the second character across the franchise able to stomach Yaya’s biscuits. The first was Probe in BoBoiBoy.
- The song "Claping Amai Amai" was changed to "Pat-A-Cake" in the English subtitles.
- This is the second time Yaya and Ying get mad at someone (BoBoiBoy in this case) who gets better results than them. The first one is Fang in BoBoiBoy.
- The memes referenced in this episode were also posted prior to this episode's release.
- The way Gopal sprinkles green onions as the final touches for the dish is similar to Salt Bae, an Internet meme that involves with a Turkish chef's iconic way of sprinkling salt.
- The scene when Tarung reacts after tasting Gopal's dish is similar to the mind blown meme, especially the reaction GIF of a clip from the Adult Swim series Tim and Eric’s Awesome Show.
- This scene was later made into a gif and posted on the official BoBoiBoy Facebook page.
- During the written test, BoBoiBoy mentions the history of Power Spheres, which was supposed to be included in BoBoiBoy: The Movie as a prologue but was later scrapped and placed into the comic book adaptation.